The capital’s public spaces named after the partisan commander and the dynasty of rulers
Vilnius City Council agreed with the proposal of the Historical Memory Commission to rename Lvov street as Lviv and to name the nameless squares in the Old Town and Žirmūnai and nameless streets in Naujininkai and Pilaitė.
When the war in Ukraine started, the majority of people in solidarity started using the present place names according to their transcription from the Ukrainian language (e.g., Львiв, Ки́їв). The street between Konstitucijos Avenue and Krokuvos Street in Šnipiskės eldership has been called Lviv on the name plates and in the public transport stop. Now, the name has been already confirmed by the decision that is related not merely to the linguistic issues, but also to the politics– the solidarity with Ukraine is expressed hereby. Vilnius has been a partner city of Lviv since 2014.
The square of the House of Vasa in the Old Town
The name of the Vasa was awarded to the nameless square located in the Old Town, on the intersection of Bazilijonų and Aušros Vartų Streets. The Vasa were the dynasty of rulers of Sweden and the Commonwealth of Both Nations. Wladyslaw Vasa (1632–1648) was a frequent visitor of Vilnius, and he was residing in Lithuania for lengthy periods of time. The last of the Vasa, John Casimir (ruled in 1648–1668) was in Vilnius several times in 1661 and in 1664.
Square named after Adolfas Ramanauskas
The square located in Žirmūnai eldership, between Verkių and Ulonų Streets, was named after the Lithuanian partisan commander, Adolfas Ramanauskas (1918–1957). The location of the square was chosen because there are many streets in the territory named after famous Lithuanian interwar officers, such as Povilas Lukšys, generals Jurgis Kubilius and Silvestras Žukauskas. The streets called Ulonų (en. Uhlans), Lakūnų (en. Pilots), Apkasų (en. Trenches) and Rinktinės (en. Corps d’elite) are also related to the Lithuanian army.
Vilnius City Council continues the tradition to name the nameless streets of Vilnius city after the Lithuanian towns and villages, and thus it gave the names of Radviliškis and Kuršėnai to newly planned streets in Naujininkai, while Žintai Street will appear in Pilaitė eldership.